Why I smile everyday!

Why I smile everyday!
We are very blessed to be an eternal family.

Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

My Frosting Recipes

The real secret to frosting is getting the consistency right.  You have to use an electric mixer.  I use my Kitchen Aid mixer.  I don't really have exact recipes but I can approximate them. The other very important thing is the flavorings you use.  I use clear mainly coconut and almond flavoring.  If I have clear vanilla I'll use it or in chocolate frosting I use regular vanilla.

Becky's Standard Decorating Frosting
1/2 cup shortening
1/2- 1 tsp coconut flavoring
1/2 - 1 tsp almond flavoring
1/4 cup milk then add to right consistency 1 tsp at a time
3 pounds powdered sugar (1 1/2 small bags of powdered sugar)

(If you want to make it chocolate add 3 tbsp of cocoa and mix well.)

Put shortening, flavorings and 1/4 cup milk in the bottom of your mixing bowl.  Add powdered sugar slowly on low speed.  Keep adding powdered sugar in and then milk until you have the consistency you want.  If it is too thick it will be difficult to spread and to decorate with.  If it is too soft it will not cover the cake well and it won't keep the shape of your decorating tips. Practice and trial and error will help you learn the right texture you need.  You can keep adding powdered sugar if it is too soft or more milk if it is too stiff.   Taste the frosting to make sure you like it and if not add more of whatever flavoring you choose.

Butter Cream Frosting

1/2 cup softened butter (room temperature)
1/4 cup shortening
2 tsp vanilla (you can also use coconut or almond or both or all 3 flavorings)
1/4 cup milk
3-4 pounds powdered sugar
 
If you want chocolate frosting add 3 tbsp cocoa and mix well.

Put butter, shortening, flavorings and 1/4 cup milk in the bottom of your mixing bowl.  Add powdered sugar slowly on low speed.  Keep adding powdered sugar in and then milk until you have the consistency you want.  If it is too thick it will be difficult to spread and to decorate with.  If it is too soft it will not cover the cake well and it won't keep the shape of your decorating tips. Practice and trial and error will help you learn the right texture you need.  You can keep adding powdered sugar if it is too soft or more milk if it is too stiff.   Taste the frosting to make sure you like it and if not add more of whatever flavoring you choose.

No comments: