Today according to all of the BMI charts I am considered a “healthy” weight. This has been a goal in the back of my mind from the beginning but of course felt it was unreachable. Well, I hit that weight today but I am not thrilled with it. I am actually disappointed in myself. I am too skinny! I’m sure you never thought you’d hear those words come out of my mouth but it is true. I have a HUGE bone structure. Not large or extra large but HUGE! BMI says that all body types are figured into their equations hence the 20 pound spread but I don’t agree. My body looks great with clothes and I love wearing a size 8-10, sometimes even a small 4-6 in T-shirts but I don’t look healthy under it all. I’m skin and bones. All of my bones are sticking out from my shoulders down to my hips. I do of course still have a lot of excess skin hanging that doesn’t help how my body looks but I just wish my body looked healthy. My face is too thin and on and on. I need to find a way to have a healthy self-image. How do I get there? I definitely don’t want to gain back any weight but what to do from here? I am really at a loss. I am so proud of my accomplishments but I’m not happy with this too skinny body I now have!!!
7 comments:
With more than two thirds of the population overweight, we don't even know what normal looks like any more. I'm not saying whether you are a healthy weight or not, you are the only one who knows how you feel. Watch some old movies, 1950's-60's, and take a look at their pre-processed-food body shapes. The range is quite different than today's.
I agree your body frame and type has to be taken into account. I am still a few pounds away from healthy bmi, but I won't be skinny when I hit it. Will I be healthier when I hit it? That will depend on a lot more than weight alone.
Pam,
You are so right!!! I see most everyone around me and feel so small now. I never thought that it was normal to be able to feel bones and such since everyone (including my old self)is so padded. Thanks for changing my perspective!!! I am probably at a healthy weight but just need the old skin to shrink away and healthy muscle tone to take its place.
I think body image is something that every woman struggles with. Even those of us that have always been thin look in the mirror and see a nose that's too big, or teeth that aren't right, or hair that won't behave. It's a universal thing. Whether it comes from our society, or it's something built into the natural man I can't say. I just can say that we all do it. I think that's why we emphasize in young women that we are all "daughters of a Heavenly Father" and divine nature. The world will always tell us that we aren't right - but God always tell us that we are just right.
I dido to everyone else. We are our own worst critic!
BTW...I have shirts now if you want them. Although they may be too big for you also :) Let me know, they're ready to go to DI if you dont! Also where did you get your shirt to go with your skirt you have on in your family pics? I'm having a hard time finding one for mine!
I'd love to look at any of your old shirts Steph. I get lots of comments on the cute capris you passed on to me. I passed on a bag of clothes that were too petite for me to a couple other ladies and they love them too. Thanks so much!!!
That darn natural man gets me far too often!!! :-)
I am just soooo glad someone else could benefit from having them! Daina thanked me for some of them :) I dont care who they go to...I figure better to people I know than to the DI. If you dont like any of them, just give them away.
Gets me too! Its pathetic how depressing these things can honestly make you! Way too often! Good luck to us women!
Post a Comment