Why I smile everyday!

Why I smile everyday!
We are very blessed to be an eternal family.

Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Alter your clothes don't buy new ones...

except for jeans and pants. Or buy second hand. (This skirt was $3 at a thrift store. Old Navy brand and looked new.) I have altered everything from a dozen or more shirts to skirts to my swimming suit and the formal 2 piece dress I wore to the Valentine's dance. My wonderful friend Stace gave me this beautiful new shirt and it's so cute. It was a little baggy so I started just under the arm and stitch in an inch or so on each side all the way down the side seams, trim off the extra fabric and there you go a perfectly fitting shirt! I have even gone so far as to take in the back center and side seams of a dress blouse just because I like it so much and don't want to buy a new one. It went from a size 28 to a size 14. If the shoulders are too big you will have to create a back center seam, otherwise just keep taking in the side seams. It is so fun to have new clothes right out of the closet that fit again in a matter of 5 minutes. Happy sewing!

3 comments:

Kate said...

I have done that before! It is really not hard to get a tailored look that way! The biggest trouble for me is with shirts. To get it big enough in the chest, it often is too baggy at the waist. This kind of tailoring works well in that situation, too!

Tami Anderson said...

I totally get what you're saying BUT!!!!...you simply MUST buy some new pieces for yourself. When I lost 150 pounds and then tried to alter some of my clothing, I just still felt large. Maybe it was just me.

I admire you so much Becky. You have not only changed your own life but many others who look to you for inspiration.

Wonderful!

Becky Jones said...

Don't get me wrong I do buy new stuff when it's super cheap like today at the $1 sale at Wal-Mart. I just don't want to invest too much money when I don't know what size I'm going to end up at.
Tami, I didn't know that you'd lost so much weight. That's fantastic!!!