Why I smile everyday!

Why I smile everyday!
We are very blessed to be an eternal family.

Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Michael’s Eagle Scout Project

 

Michael began his Eagle Scout Project in the Fall last year.  He isn't the average teenager that chooses an easy project but really wanted to work hard to earn his Eagle.  He decided to earn money to make 4 large picnic tables for the stake Scout Campground that has NO tables.   This project required earning over $900.  The raising of money began with selling candy from the house as well as at the school carnival and the Scout Expo.  Both were all day events.

Next to earn the majority of the funds Michael, the family and a few very dedicated  scouts spent their whole fall break to aerate lawns. Two 12 hour days of back breaking work but they did it and earned the money.  Then bad weather began and the project was put on hold until Spring.
He wants these tables to last for many years so we wanted good strong bases, not wood so the challenge began to order bases at little or no shipping.  Not an easy task!  Finally the right bases were found within the budget and with FREE shipping!
 
The bases arrived at the beginning of Spring Break and so they sat for a week then yesterday morning Michael and I set off to spend the rest of the hard earned money on the best wood for the job, redwood.  Only the best for these tables!  After spending all but a few dollars of the funds he raised, the calling began to locate help.  I am so proud of how Michael now takes charge.  He contacted EVERY scout and leader, well he tried to reach them all.  He persevered and found a few boys willing to work hard and help.
 
Of course the whole family was there helping in whatever way they could.  Dan made delicious monkey bread for the first shift of workers and I kept various other treats and sandwiches available throughout the process. 
He is almost done.  He has weather proofing stain to apply and delivery then he'll complete ALL the paperwork and wait!
 
I just counted up the hours for everyone involved and he has 208 hrs so far. WOW! I wanted him to choose a challenging project that he would really learn from and boy has he really earned this rank. What I love is how he really loves the scouting program and it's oath and law. It really means something to him. He wears his uniform proudly!
 
When we were shopping for his supplies he had a clerk stop and asked him the Scout Law. He recited it quickly and proudly. All eagle scouts should be able to do this but sadly many I have asked just stare at me with a blank look. Too many boys are just doing it to say they have eagle without the love of scouting. I am thankful I grew up with scouting being important and something to be proud of. My husband and I have instilled in our boys that same attitude.

 

2012-04-21_12-39-48_506eagle scout project 073eagle scout project 066eagle scout project 082eagle scout project 106eagle scout project 141
eagle scout project 146

No comments: