Why I smile everyday!

Why I smile everyday!
We are very blessed to be an eternal family.

Pages

Tuesday, February 11, 2014

I am a Teacher!- My Miracle

I posted last week that I finally had my teaching license up to date and loving teaching. Well here is the full story of how becoming a REAL teacher came to be…

Dan and I have been planning since forever that once the kids were all in school and finances were needed that I would teach. The past 3 years I have been working on earning enough points to get my teaching license current. The past year and a half I have been substitute teaching. The paperwork for my license was signed off the beginning of January  but getting my fingerprinting done was a challenge since I was substitute teaching full-time. I finally drove up to West Valley City not just once but twice and finally the fingerprinting was done and the background check started. I went ahead and completed the ethics review but still was waiting for the background check to clear. I was looking forward to teaching in the fall so it wasn’t a huge rush but I felt an urgency to get everything ready.

The school I have always wanted and dreamed of teaching at is where I have spent my last 10 years volunteering and sending my children to each day. I love the school! The teachers and administration are the best! The only glitch in my plan was that the principal that I know won’t be the one hiring for the fall. I was really nervous that a new principal wouldn’t see what those who know me see and my possibility for being hired would be greatly reduced. I was also very concerned about all of the new graduates fresh out of college that would be applying. I am not current on all of the best teaching practices and they know the lingo.

In the meantime I am enjoying substitute teaching 5th grade. I am in the middle of an 8 week maternity leave position. I was frustrated in the beginning that I was doing so much work on sub pay. Yes, I know teachers don’t make a lot but subs are barely minimum wage. Well my love of teaching and creating lessons sky rocketed.

Subbing long term is fantastic!!! I love seeing the same faces of the students ready to learn first thing in the morning. I love how they light up when they learn something new. I even love the challenging moments when they get too noisy or rowdy. BUT I really would love my own classroom filled with all of my personal creativity and stuff! Don’t get me wrong I am incorporating a lot of ME into the lessons and adding things here and there but there is a difference. This isn't my classroom. I have this class for 8 weeks then I move onto the next class that needs a sub.

A few weeks ago I was told that one of the other 5th grade teachers will be leaving. This opens up a 3 month contract to finish out the year. I had already started the process of collecting letters of recommendation and the many other items required to apply to the school district. Incredibly in 2 days I was able to collect, scan and enter in everything I needed to apply for the position. The amazing miracle of the situation is that I will end my long-term subbing position six days before this new position needs to be filled. Another miracle is that my teaching license was ready just one day before my interview. The next miracle is that I had the opportunity to interview with people that have known me for 10 years and know I give 110% no matter what. They have witnessed my love of teaching, how I bond quickly with the students and they know how I have served the school and this community.

Today after school I was called down to the office and offered a teaching position. It seemed so unreal. My dream of having my own class is finally coming to pass. Interestingly, this reminded me of 18 years ago when I was just finishing my student teaching and they wanted to hire me on the spot but timing wasn’t right. Then I wasn’t ready. I was to be a mom first. My desires to teach were put on hold.

What a blessing it has been to be home for all of these years. Now it is a blessing to teach where my 3 youngest children are just down the hallway. One of them will  literally be right next door.  I can bring them along with me in the morning and I can see them at lunch.  Hugs passing in the hallway are a highlight of my day. I love that they are excited that I am so close to them all day long.

I have A LOT of learning to do and did I mention SO much to learn! Thankfully there is an incredible 5th grade team (all of the teachers really ) that is so supportive and knowledgeable that will help me. I also know that my mind will be sharpened and that I will be blessed as I do those things that my Heavenly Father desires of me. Miracles happen. This is one of my miracles. What a blessing for me and my family! I pray that I will be able to touch the lives of many children as I give my best as a teacher whether it be at school, at home or at church.

IMG_9299

My dear sweet husband brought me home the most beautiful  roses to celebrate my job offer! He is simply the BEST! Now to make it all official by signing the contract next week! Yippee!!!

teacherapple

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Congrats my friend! I am so excited for you.

Becky Jones said...

Thanks Melanie! I am loving teaching Cameron's class right now. I am sure going to miss his class but so thankful to teach as a regular teacher.