Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more (Proverbs 3:11–12). He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for your everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort and pain (Richard G. Scott, in Conference Report, Ensign, Nov. 1995, 16-17).
“No pain that we suffer, no trial that we experience is wasted. It ministers to our education, to the development of such qualities as patience, faith, fortitude and humility. All that we suffer and all that we endure, especially when we endure it patiently, builds up our characters, purifies our hearts, expands our souls, and makes us more tender and charitable, more worthy to be called the children of God . . . and it is through sorrow and suffering, toil and tribulation, that we gain the education that we come here to acquire and which will make us more like our Father and Mother in heaven. . . .” (Orson F. Whitney as cited in Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Proceeds the Miracle, [1972], 99).
My heart aches as I ponder on the life of my cousin that ended way too soon. I wish that I could provide some comfort to the loss that my uncle, aunt and cousins must feel but the comfort they require only comes from our Savior Jesus Christ. What a blessing it is to have the knowledge that being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints brings.
Eric Nordquist
4 comments:
Amen. As sad as the loss of our cousin makes me, I can only imagine the sorrow it has brought to his brothers, sisters and parents, and to his nieces and nephews. I wish I knew what to do to say or do to help alleviate that. I guess the best is to trust in the Lord, to lean on Him and somehow, thanks to the Savior's atonement, we all will make it through.
Amen. As sad as the loss of our cousin makes me, I can only imagine the sorrow it has brought to his brothers, sisters and parents, and to his nieces and nephews. I wish I knew what to do to say or do to help alleviate that. I guess the best is to trust in the Lord, to lean on Him and somehow, thanks to the Savior's atonement, we all will make it through.
Thank you for sharing all those thoughts and quotes. They are beautiful. We will definitely miss him. Can I borrow some of those to use?
Carlie, you can always borrow anything I post. I find them out on the internet myself. I love you and your whole family so much.
Post a Comment